Introduction to Stata: Stata interface, how to use Stata Help, how to use Data Editor and how to graph data. Important details to remember:
- In any program, the first thing to use is Help. I learned everything from Help and never took any programming courses.
- The number of observations for all variables in one data file must be the same. This can be a problem if, for example, you want to see out-of-sample predictions.
- In Data Editor, numeric variables are displayed in black and strings are displayed in red.
- The name of the hidden variable that counts observations is _n
- If you have several definitions of graphs in two-way graphs menu, they will be graphed together or separately, depending on what is enabled/disabled.
See details in videos. Sorry about the background noise!